All posts filed under: our home in London

Beautiful, handcrafted ceramics for your home by Zakkia Homewares

Beautiful, handcrafted ceramics for your home

When Mila, Lily and I got stranded in Singapore last June because there was only 6-months left on her passport to enter Bali, we stayed with my friend Sofia for a week until we received Mila’s New-Zealand passport. During that time, Sofia took me to a lovely home decoration shop in town and that’s where I discovered Zakkia Homewares. A Sydney-based studio founded by Swedish Sara Lundgren, which produces beautiful handcrafted objects to love and cherish for a lifetime. I fell hard for the two black ceramic pots (above on the right) and really pondered whether I should be backpacking for three weeks with ceramics in my bag. In the end, common sense prevailed (for once!) and I just took a picture of the brand to look it up later. Once back in Europe, I spent a lot more time on Zakkia Homewares website and when I found out that our home in London was being photographed to feature in a magazine, I immediately thought of them to complement the recent rugs I put in …

A few new things in our home to add warmth & textures

A few new things in our home to add warmth & textures

If you watched my stories yesterday, you probably saw the amount of brown boxes in my lounge. It was a mess and it freaked me out a little but our home is being photographed on Monday (and I will use this opportunity to promote my portrait photography). I also thought it was the perfect opportunity to finish styling the house properly. I always find that when you go through major renovations, you tend to be on top of things for 90% of them and by the time, the heavy work is done, you have no energy left to finish the remaining 10%, which is in fact the fun part. It was also a challenge to source everything in the UK when I was stuck in France but apart from a few things, it went pretty smoothly. As I mentionned in this article about adding textures to your home, I moved this lovely Berber rug to our bedroom and put a much larger and beautiful rug from a company called Larusi in our lounge. They have …

How to add textures and warmth to your home

How to add textures to your home

I’ve always loved the minimalist, relaxing look that exudes from our resin floor in our London home. However, since I’ve painted this wall with Kalklitir paint before Summer, I have been drawn to more intimate, muted colours, wooden furniture and handmade objects and of course, stonewashed linen in the bedrooms. I suspect this unpainted plaster wall is not going to get painted anytime soon and that’s ok… I love it just the way it is, with its small imperfections and soothing atmosphere. It’s also the start of Autumn and personally, I feel more inclined to stay at home where it’s warm and cosy rather than hitting the town on high heels in the cold, don’t you!?There are different ways of adding textures and warmth to your home but one that doesn’t fail is adding a rug, even a small one like this wool berber rug I got from Next a while ago but never got around to photograph. You can see here how the lounge looked before the addition of this small rug (especially here!) … I should have …

White bedroom + white floorboards

White bedroom + white floorboards

If you are in need of new bed linens, you may find this post useful.

Weekend in London #london #holidayrental #familyhome #whiteinteriors #interiordesign

WEEKEND#

We are back in London for the weekend, catching up with friends, getting the house ready for new guests, soaking up the city’s wonderful vibes…and sadly temporary “escaping” more bad news.

White bedroom chez moi www.karinecandicekong.com

Our white bedroom update

Here are a few quick and easy tips to update your bedroom like mine. As I mentioned here, I’m forcing myself to pick up my EOS camera again rather than using my iPhone and I have to say, it challenges me a great deal so today you will only get two pictures  :-)

My home in London. Read on www.karinecandicekong.com

London calling

I’m heading back to London on Sunday for a styling job, Ideal Home magazine is also coming to shoot our kitchen and as BODIE and FOU is exhibiting our prints collection at Design Junction from 24th to 27th, I will be attending our stand there too (I hope to meet some of you there!) I was struggling to leave this place when the weather was nice but now that it’s pouring down rain, it’s getting a lot easier. 

Our Tadelakt bathroom | Renovations. Interior Design Project by Karine Candice Kong Read on www.karinecandicekong.com

Our tadelakt bathroom | renovations

One of the projects I most proud of out of all the things we achieved with our house renovations (loft conversion, new kitchen, the resin floor) is our Tadelakt bathroom. Its a material I have been wanted to use for years because it looks and feels like polished concrete and the results achieved really exceeded my expectations.